The wiring and the rev-counter

Two projects that I have been working on for a while is the wiring of the car and the rev counter Wiring The old wiring harness was cut into pieces by previous owners of the car, so early on I decided to get a fresh one. After hours of search …

Shining metal

I’m currently going through all my parts to see what needs to be replaced, what needs restoration and what can just be bolted on (not much in that last category I’m afraid.) One of those items that I have been looking at is the head of the steering column – …

Reaching a milestone

Its a really big day for my ’69 beetle restoration project: After about a year of preparation and careful work on all the small details I was able to send of the Beetle for another round of sandblasting in May. Now the chassis has got a metal coating and is …

Last modifications before sandblasting

Most of April and May have gone with making the last modifications on the chassis and body before sending it for sandblasting and metallization for the last time. I have previously written about the project of fitting a tachometer in the the middle of the dash and a series of …

“Drehzahlmesser”

The German word for a tachometer is “drehzahlmesser”, and that is exactly what I have decided to put in the ’69 beetle. To do that I have purchased a donor dashboard which I found on vwnettet.dk  I have used the metal from around the speedometer and welded it into the middle …

The long winter

It has been a loooong time since I last updated the blog, but I have actually been active for the most of the winter, and most of the time has gone with test assembly in preparation for sandblasting, metallization and finally paint. I have created a short list of the …

Old doors out – new doors in

The last couple of weeks has given me both up’s and down’s. Las week I noticed a small bulge on one of the doors. After having examined it on the back it was clear that it was enemy number one: RUST! When one a of the guys put a screwdriver straight …

Testing, trimming and thinking about interior

I was almost at the point where I thought I was ready to send the car of to another round of sandblasting and metallization (a process where you spray different metals on the car to protect it from rusting). But then people more clever than me (my workshop buddies) told …

The headliner

When I sent the car for sandblasting the original headliner was removed – both to be able to sandblast the body properly, but also because it was worn. At some point I’ll therefore have to put a new headliner in. But Anders gave me an idea that I should consider a …